Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Hey Ya'll,

Just wanted to make a quick post to say how happy I have been, since I found this bandster blog world.

Like everyone, I was struggling with my weight for so long.  It seems like I tried all the different diets out there, but always gained my weight back, plus a few more pounds.  I started to look into WLS earlier in the year, but I knew that my DH would be against it.  His philosophy was always, just eat less & you would lose weight!  Well, we all know that to be true.  That is all I needed to do, but it is easier said than done!

Then, I saw the commercials from Lap Band & Realize, saying that you weren't just having Surgery, then you are on your own.  It was a complete program where you join a family so to speak, & are continually followed on your weight loss journey by the Doctor, Nurse, Nutritionist, etc.

So I got up the courage to talk to my DH about it, telling him that it was more than just Surgery, it was a program for life!  He was desperate to see me become healthy, so agreed to accompany me to the first Seminar held by a local Surgeon.  We were both impressed & looking forward to continuing toward Surgery.  But found out the next day that our Insurance wouldn't cover this Surgeon, as he wasn't in a "Center Of Excellence" (COE).

I started researching other local Surgeons that were in what was considered a COE, but found that all of them, were charging a minimum of $3000, above what the Insurance paid which was to be considered "out of pocket, non negotiable, not covered by Insurance"!!!  I was getting depressed about this turn of events.  So my DH suggested that I look further out.  We had a friend that lived in Truckee which was the last big town, driving over the Sierra's on the way to Reno, NV.

So I used her zip code & looked up COE's within 50 miles of there & found the Group I ended up using in Reno, was a COE!!  AND THEY DIDN'T CHARGE THE EXTRA HIGH COST THAT THE OTHERS WERE CHARGING, JUST THE STANDARD COSTS!!!  So we called & was advised of their next Seminar, which was August 26th.  And the rest is history.

This was what I put most of my energy into, for the second half of the year.  Now it is up to me to continue the good work & not be one of the statistics where the Lap Band didn't help!!  I have been bad over the Holidays & gained back at least 4 lbs, but I am determined to lose it back & then some.  I just have to overcome my Head Hunger & Cravings!!!  This is the hardest part right now!  I am in BANDSTER HELL!!  I just received my First Fill & it hasn't given me any restriction so far.  I can only hope that the next Fill will help.  Otherwise, I will be REALLY struggling.

But I am looking for 2010 to be the best year of my life, as I WILL be taking control of my life & weight issues.  I am already feeling much better!  I can walk at least 1 mile without too much difficulty, even walking uphill!!!  So I want to thank all of you who have been giving me the support & encouragement that I so desperately need right now!!  I truly feel that we are a great big family, who gives & receives the encouragement when it is needed.  My hope is that some day I will be able to meet some of you.

So I would like to give a great big wish, that all of us has the best year in 2010!!  That we are all healthy, happy & have continued work in this tough economy. 

Happy New Year Everyone!

 

15 comments:

Robyn said...

Yay for getting the band! It's been great sharing your journey so far and I look forward to continuing as we both reach our goals! Don't worry about the little recent gain. I'm sure it'll come off as quick as it came on.

Debi said...

Thanks Robyn, I really hope that I can get myself back on track!! This head hunger is really bad! I just have to tell myself that I have to do this!

Lonicera said...

2010 really will be your year, you'll see. You evidently haven't reached the right fill yet - it may take a few. You'll be complaining that you're barely eating less, etc, then when you weigh once a month you see the pounds slowly come off, and in 6 months you'll be looking at yourself in the mirror one day and you'll suddenly notice that your face looks different - and that people are starting to notice....
The secret is to be patient (and nobody is at first).
Good luck to you Debi, and happy new bandit year!
Carolien

TJ said...

Debi, it does get harder as we go without good restriction doesn't it? One tip I got from another bandster is to drink when you feel hungry instead of eat (between meals of course). I have been doing this and it has help greatly. It doesn't fully compensate for no restriction, but it does help get rid of that "hellish" feeling.

Debi said...

Thank you Caroline. I know that what you say is true, it is just hard to have to hurry up & wait for the restriction, that we envision we will have almost immediately!! I was expecting more of a "Fill" when I went in for my First Fill, as my Surgeon had told me I would get at least 3 cc's. Unfortunately, I only got 1 cc & no restriction!!

Tracy, I know that your suggestion is also true, as I was doing this in the beginning as well! My main problem isn't that I am hungry between meals, my problem is HEAD HUNGER & CRAVINGS, AKA Bandster Hell!! LOL But I am going to do my best to not let my cravings take over anymore!!

TJ said...

Happy New Year too!!

And for me the water actually helps with the head hunger. I think that it gives me that "full" feeling and I forget to crave - most of the time. I have also heard that thrist can mask itself as hunger (a form of head hunger), but I don't know since I am always drinking something - always as in since I was born :)

Nessa said...

Happy New Year Debi, it's going to be a great one!!!!

Mountain Laurel said...

Happy New Year! Keep looking forward, it will happen! Thanks for your comments on my blog. :)

Debi said...

Thanks Nessa & Laurel! I agree, it will be a great year for all of us!!

THE DASH! said...

I'm so glad you became part of the blogging community too.. it wouldn't be the same without you. And yeah: I hope 2010 brings you just what you want and more. xxxx

Debi said...

Thanks Cara!! I wish that you too, get everything you could ever hope for!

Dinnerland said...

You have the 'strength' to get those 4 pounds off-- your walking is going great and the holiday season is officially behind us now. We'll all be getting our 'behinds' in gear and dropping lots of weight in 2010!!
You're doing great, hang in there until you reach that 'sweet spot.'

Debi said...

Thanks Vanessa, as of this morning, I am down 2 of those pounds!! So another 2 & I am back at my lowest weight since Surgery.

Amy W. said...

Debi, it has been a pleasure getting to know you! I cant wait to see where 2010 takes us. I hope it holds everything fabulous for us!

Debi said...

Thanks Amy, I feel the same way!! It is always a good day when you post something!!