Friday, October 16, 2009

We're Here In Keene, New Hampshire!! :o)

Hey Y'all,

We finally made it to Keene, New Hampshire where we will be attending the annual Pumpkin Festival with my friend Kelly & her family.

It took us 1 hr & 15-30 mins just to get off of Cape Cod & onto the mainland!!  It is only about a 20 mile drive for god sakes!  Let me tell you, the scenery there is breath takingly beautiful & I would love to live somewhere like that, but the road signs, or lack thereof is really horrible!!!  Even with a map, it is easy to get lost, especially if you go off the main road at all, as most of the roads/streets on Cape Cod are not on the map!  LOL.  So we loved it, so long as we didn't get lost :o).

Once we were on the mainland & off of the Peninsula of Cape Cod, it only took us another 3 hrs to get to Keene (now remember, that is driving up Massachusetts & into New Hampshire)(also note, that Walt drove 80-85 as much as he could until I reined him in!!! LOL).  Although we did stop & eat along the way so we actually didn't arrive until 4 pm & we left Cape Cod at 10:30 am!

We were lucky to arrive before dark & so far, what we have been able to see of it, the town looks really charming!  It has one of those traditional Town Squares with a Band Stand in the center grassy area.  Very Norman Rockwell looking.

I can't wait until Sunday when everyone who came for the festival leaves so we can really explore the town better without thousands of people!!  Luckily, our B&B is only about 2 blocks from the center of town so we can leave our car there & walk to the festival as parking is almost impossible to get unless you park a long way out.  So we are fortunate in being able to park so close!!

Unfortunately, my friend Kelly had to work tonight, but will be coming by on her way home, so she can at least say hi.  I can't wait.  So we will be up until at least midnight as she doesn't get off work until 11 pm.  :o(  But, she does have the next 3 days off so we can really get in some visiting this weekend.  Well, I better get off, I need to finish unpacking our clothes so I can rest a bit.  Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

P.S.) I almost forgot, we walked to a local diner to have some dinner & walked the next block over to the Town Square to see some of the pumpkins (everyone brings pumpkins from miles around to try to get back into the Guinness Book of World Records for having the most carved/lit pumpkins in one place again)!! Apparently, Boston took over their title a few years ago! 

By the time we got back to our B&B, we were nearly frozen!  I knew I should have taken my warm gloves with me!  LOL.  It is supposed to get down to about 28 degrees tonight (I am fairly certain it will)!!  Listen to this, it is supposed to rain by tomorrow night with only a high of 48 & a low of 34, with rain/snow on Sunday with a high of 36 & a low of 31, & Monday a high of 43 with a low of 28, & Tuesday (the day we fly home of course!) it is supposed to be mostly sunny with a high of 53 degrees!  LOL.  Just my luck!

We didn't come prepared for any extreme weather!  We're from California for god sakes!  But we did buy ourselves a nice fleece zip up jacket from Cape Cod.  I am pretty sure that we will be using them as well as the jackets we brought!  Isn't that what they always say in cold climates, to dress in layers?  Well, I normally don't like to, as I am already huge to begin with without adding another several inches to my girth!  But...it is better than freezing to death I guess!  LOL  :o)

Aloha My Friends  :o)

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Sounds like you've got a picture perfect next couple days ahead of you! Up here in WA state the weather has gotten pretty cold too. Today I saw small snow flakes blowing around between rain pours. Enjoy the time with your friend!

Debi said...

Yes, I think it should be some nice picture taking days too. Hopefully,the rain holds until we are gone, or at least not rain while we are outside! We are hoping the rain holds until after the festival today/tonight! :o)

Gen said...

OMG soooo jealous! I miss the East Coast in the fall. Went to high school in NY and law school in Boston. So beautiful! Enjoy!

Debi said...

Thanks Gen, it is absolutely beautiful here!