Tuesday, October 13, 2009

We Saw The Rock!

Hey Y'all,

Well, today it rained all morning, but we decided to drive off the peninsula of Cape Cod to the mainland anyway.  We drove to Plymouth, to see the big Rock!  But only after several miles of bumper to bumper traffic on the Hwy, waiting to drive over the bridge to the mainland, did we finally make it.

Then we kind of got lost again. :(  But we quickly came upon a High School, where we stopped in to get directions as well as let me use the restroom!  Luckily, we weren't too far off track.  We only had to back track to the Hwy & continue on a few more miles.  BUT, we did finally make it!  We were lucky.  Once we arrived, the rain stopped & the weather just stayed cool while we were there.  I can handle cool.

So we saw the big Rock of Plymouth & took some pictures of it like everyone else! lol.  I will post them after we return home.  We were also able to go on the Mayflower II, which is a full scale working model of the original Mayflower.  It is not very big & had carried 102 passengers & about 30 crew!  We were on it & I don't know how they could stand to be on it for sooo long!

Even the Captain's quarters were small.  His bunk was so small that no one larger than my grand children would be able to actually sleep on it.  I 'm sure the crew were picked for their small stature, but I couldn't even sleep in his bunk & I am only 5' 3 " tall.  They had to endure 66 days at sea, landing first at Cape Cod for a short time, then, moved on to Plymouth (across the bay) in November.  Since this was Winter, they had to continue living on board the ship until around March 21st, when they permanently moved off the ship & built temporary huts on shore to live in.  By this time, only 53 of the original 102 passengers & only about 1/2 of the crew had survived.  Most dying of Pneumonia.  

So ends another day here in Cape Cod.  We are still loving it here, I wish I could live here.  But that will never happen! lol  Till next time.

Aloha My Friends :)

No comments: