Sunday, March 28, 2010

An Ode To Mister Squirrel

Hey Ya'll,

Just a quick post to show off some photos that I took in our friends backyard, in September 2008.  We were there to help celebrate their Daughter's Bat Mitzvah (not too sure if I spelled it correctly).  They live in the Portland, OR area and have a beautiful home and landscaping.

While we were there, it quickly became apparent, that they had a resident squirrel.  This squirrel was always trying to get at the bird feed they had out.  Luckily, even if the squirrel actually did make it up where the feed was accessible, it would close up, making it impossible for him to get any feed!  But I found it fascinating that he continued to try, day after day!!  So here are a few photos of him and the bird feeder.  By the way, all of these photos were taken from inside the house.

  The prize.....

















He's planning his strategy, for this days attempt!












He's pretending to not have any interest in it.  See how he has his back to it?












And circling around, and around, trying to confuse it.













Even more recognizance from the plant.












Getting there!......













Almost there...Trying to not be too obvious.....












And he is up!  Unfortunately for him, the openings closed, and this new attempt, was alas...in vain, again!!!











Sorry to have posted nothing but a fluff post, but I just wanted to post something and I remember thinking how cute this squirrel was.  We will be going up to visit again this September, for their Son's Bar Mitzvah.  We are excited about going back to visit.  So...till next time.

Aloha My Friends  :)

10 comments:

THE DASH! said...

lol How cute!! The only squirrels I've ever seen are at our Perth zoo. They climb the palm trees and scamper about. He's very cute this one of yours. Hope you see him again when you visit!

Sally Hamilton said...

They are so much fun to watch - I haved about 20-25 in my backyard. They do get in the bird feeders but I don't mind. It's hilarious to watch the dove run the squirrels off so they can eat in peace.

Sandy said...

I love squirrels and they are scampering around here too. I actually found your post spoke to me when you said "But I found it fascinating that he continued to try, day after day!!"

I'm in a philosophical mood right now and am trying to make sense of a lot of things so the post actually hit a nerve for me--really we too just keep trying day after day. I bet you didn't know you were such a great teacher!

Camille said...

My dog would have been having a field day!!

Lonicera said...

I love squirrels too - I used to have a lot in the communal gardens around the flat where I used to live. Now my home backs onto a field, and I doubt they would survive other predators, not to mention my two cats. A great debate in England is red versus grey squirrel, and I must admit once you've seen the sweet, delicate little red squirrel, greys are a lot less interesting!
I loved your squirrel photos Debi, thanks so much for putting them on your blog!
Caroline

Debi said...

Thanks everyone!

Sandy Lee, I hadn't thought about it in that way until you mentioned it, but yes, we do continue to try everyday!

Caroline (Lonicera), I had never seen the red squirrel, so I googled them and I agree, they are absolutely gorgeous! I will try to put some photos on my blog of them.

Tina said...

hey heyy...if you are coming to Portland in September you are going to have to meet me for coffee or something! I have those things all over my yard. They bury acorns, sunflower seeds and peanuts then come spring I get little growing surprises from them. They can be quite nasty if they get in your attic so I like them from afar.

Tina

Debi said...

Hey Tina!! That sounds fantastic! I forgot that you live in that area too!

I will talk it over with my DH, but he is always supportive and always in favor of me meeting another Lap Bander someday, so I am sure that I should be able to arrainge us getting together!!

We will have a lot of gatherings to attend, but I am sure I should be able to meet you!

Bonnie said...

So cute. Thanks for sharing. I am a little worried, though, that you apologized for a "fluff post." I think a lot of my posts have been fluff posts - is that bad?

Debi said...

Not at all Bonnie! I love them myself, I just feel that most of my posts lately have been about almost everything BUT weight loss and the Lap Band!!