Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Upper GI !!

Hey Y'all,

Well, one of the tests that my Surgeon setup for me to have before they would send in for my Surgery approval was an Upper GI (yuk!).  I had the misfortune of having to go through an Upper GI when I was still in my 20's & I remember it was something that I had hoped I would never have to go through again!!  Ha Ha.  So it was with trepidation that I drove myself in to the Hospital the morning of September 9th.

My pre procedure instructions was, no food or drink after 12 midnight the night before.  Boo Hoo, as I stay up late most every night.  I rarely go to bed before 2 am at the earliest, so not being able to even drink after midnight, ugh!

After I was taken back to the specialized x-ray room, I was told to undress from the waist up & put a gown on with the opening in the back.  Then I was told to stand on a table that was situated vertically.  It was actually a bed without the pillow with a board on the end to stand on & a Fluoroscopy x-ray arm placed in front of my body. 

The Technician told me that I also had to have a Double Contrast Upper GI Series, so I would need to drink something with baking soda crystals in it (it was kind of like Alka-Seltzer).  It is used to produce gas in order to enhance the detail of the x-ray pictures.  She also told me that I might feel like I needed to belch, but to resist the urge, or I would have to drink it again.  I was given a small cup with a very small amount of water in it & told to drink it very fast as soon as she placed the tablets in it!  At least it didn't taste nasty, so I managed to drink it.  Luckily for me, I didn't feel the need to belch (at least not yet)! 

Then she gave me the large glass of Barium with a big straw & told to drink like I was very thirsty on a hot day & to keep drinking it until it was all gone.  I was, however, able to take breaths between long drinks, thank god!  While I was drinking it, the Doctor was watching the Barium flow through my system with a special x-ray called a Fluoroscopy.

Once I finished drinking the Barium & it finished flowing down, they turned the table horizontal so that I was now laying down.  The Doctor had me change positions a few times so he could take x-rays from different angles, etc.  So I laid on my back, then on each side, then....I had to turn onto my stomach!  Well, anyone who has large breasts, can probably tell you that it is not comfortable to lay on your chest.  But I of course, did as instructed! 

Unfortunately, I had to take more sips of the Barium while in each position.  Which was ok, until I got onto my stomach!  With the pressure on my stomach, I almost threw up the Barium!  Thank god, that was the last position & he said that I was done!  I had to swallow the throw up as it was, & I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to drink anymore, which I am sure it is why they do the stomach last!  But the Doctor said that I looked great & he didn't see any problem for me or the Surgeon!  Yea!!!!  Another hoop jumped through!

Well, till next time!
Debi

No comments: