Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Group Support Meeting

Hey Y'all,

Well, this will be the last post as far as catching up goes.  I drove up over the Sierra's yesterday to Reno so that I could attend the one Support Group Meeting they require I attend for surgery approval.  If it wasn't for being a requirement, I wouldn't have taken the time to drive up.  Lets face it, it is a long way to go to attend a support meeting.  But I can't complain, we chose to use this facility!! :)

Because California is doing a huge amount of road work on I-80 over the Sierra's (trying to get as much done before the snows hit), & in multiple places, it can really slow you down.  It can make a normal 1 1/2 hr drive into a 2-3 hr drive.  I have even been told by a friend that it took her 5 hrs once!  She forgot that it was the July 4th weekend!  She won't do that again, I am sure!

So, it took me 2 hrs 40 mins to drive up.  I am one of "those people" that thinks driving 5 mph over speed limit is speeding which is why my husband always drives when we go together!!  So I allowed myself 4 hrs to be sure I made it in time!  Since I got there early, I had time to relax in my car (with the seat back down) before I had to go inside.  Luckily, I was able to park in their parking structure so I was in the shade & it was a beautiful day.  Only about 74 degrees.

I am glad that I went inside early though, as they had a huge turnout!  There were about 40 of us seated & about another 10-15 standing, as there were no more available seats!  However, thanks to reading a lot of these blogs from other blogsters whom have already gone through the surgery, I pretty much already knew what they were discussing!!  So, I made it up there, but, now I had to get back home & it was then, 7:30 pm!  So I contacted my favorite Hotel/Casino in Reno & booked me a room for the night.  We always go prepared with an overnight bag, as you never know when you will need to stay.

It was a mistake though!  The bed was old (they hadn't refurbished this room yet) & the mattress was all broke down.  It wasn't even level!  Now remember, I have a very bad back & at home, we sleep on a fairly new, Tempurpedic Bed (with) an additional 3 in Tempur Foam Pad on top!  So, I had to call down & request an egg crate foam pad to be added to the bed.  After they left, I folded it in half, then placed pillows down length wise.  So I slept on pillows, on top of a doubled foam pad!  I still had trouble sleeping!  I didn't get to sleep until 5am.

Luckily, my drive home was smooth & uneventful.  Go figure, it only took me about 1 hr 40 min to drive home!  When I got back into town, I called my husband to let him know I had made it back in one piece & he had just sat down to lunch at a fantastic pizza place near our house, so I had him order me something as well & I met him there.  So ends another boring post!  I hope it had something interesting as well though.

Until the next time,


Gen said...

Hi Debi, its me, your very first Follower! Yippee! Thanks for commenting on my blog. Its true, I only had to do 3 days of pre-op dieting. Those 3 days were hard (clear liquids only), but I lost 8 lbs and I know I was SO lucky not to have to do a longer diet.

Sorry about the bad hotel experience. I have to travel 6 hours (driving) to my Dr. so I usually fly instead and check into a 4* hotel (thru Priceline of course, $65!) it is like a mini-vacation!

I look forward to following your blog. Good luck!

Debi said...

Hey Gen,
Thanks for the support! I will of course blog about my 4 wk diet at that time, hopefully, it won't be too restrictive! As for the Hotel, I have never had this problem there before, but, for some reason, I find it hard to sleep on any bed but my own anymore. I'm hopeful that the weight loss will take some pressure off my spine & I can sleep like everyone else! :) I Can't Believe I Have A Follower!