Monday, April 2, 2012

I Think I Spoke A Little Too Soon!!

Here I am standing on the Bowfin Submarine at Pearl Harbor.  It was early morning and already about 80 degrees out!  And did I mention the humidity??  LOL  You would think that I would sweat off some weight!!

Hey Ya'll,

Well, yesterday and last night I was feeling much better, so much better that I thought I was over the worst of it, and posted about it!  Guess What???  I am NOT over the worst of it!!  LOL  Last night was the worst night I've had yet!

Walt and I went to bed like normal.  We stayed up until 10 pm so that we could watch the season opener of Game Of Thrones.  I had taken my Medications, so I was expecting to just fall asleep easily as I had in the past.  But Walt was having trouble falling to sleep, so I made sure that I didn't fall into a deep sleep, thus making me snore!  I knew that if he could go to sleep first, he would have a better chance of sleeping.  Thank God, he did eventually fall asleep.  That's when I allowed myself to drift off.  But by 2 am, I woke up in severe pain!

At first, because of the amount of pain I was in, I figured that it must be about 5 am.  I figured that I had missed a dose of the Pain Meds, so I was now paying for it.  But once I got out of bed, I realized that my Pain level was different than it had been in the past.  I went to the Bathroom, and was planning on taking another dose.  But within 2 minutes of getting up, I realized that I was going to be sick!  I was in so much pain, that it was making me sick, and was about to Vomit!!  Which of course, is something that we want to avoid.  My Neck is still in a fragile state, and doesn't need my bending over and Vomiting.

Luckily, it passed soon.  But I was still feeling shaky and not well, so I made the decision to sit up on the Sofa without my Cervical Collar.  I was feeling hot, and needed to cool my Neck down.  Walt got up and got me my dose of Meds, and I lay back onto the pillows.  Somehow I managed to sleep in this position....poor Walt didn't get much sleep afterwards.  I think that he was worried that I would fall asleep, and lay down (or fall down), bending my Neck!

By the time Walt got out of bed to go to work, I was feeling much better.  So he gave me another dose of Meds, and I went to bed.  This time, I slept like a baby!!  Who knows why this keeps happening to me??  This is the second time that I have had this sick feeling since I have been home from the Hospital.  But this was the first time that I actually feared that I would Vomit!  And actually had the Vomit spasms.

Apparently, Walt was so concerned that he called the Surgeons Office this morning, after he got to work, and described my episode.  They said that so long as it is a once in a while kind of thing, it will be ok.  But if the Vomiting becomes more constant, then they will want to see me.  They told him that I can lay down without the Collar (while I am awake) while relaxing, so long as I am aware of myself.  Meaning that I cannot fall asleep without the Collar on, as I may then move into positions that could cause harm to the Fusion.  So I will do this!  It really helps to be able to take the Collar off periodically to allow my Neck/Shoulders to relax.

Oh and I am embarrassed to say this, but today was my first shower since Surgery....and it felt sooo good!!  I have really thin, fine, oily, greasy hair, and after 3 days, it looks horrible (for that matter, the next day it looks horrible), but the worst part was that it was actually hurting....my scalp hurt!  So now it feels so good to have it clean.  I was going to shower yesterday, but my window of opportunity was gone, so I had to wait until today.

So, now that I have confessed my sin of being over confident that I was past the worst of my Recovery after only 1 week, I need to go lay down for awhile.  Till next time....

Aloha My Friends  :)

2 comments:

Lonicera said...

Wow Debi, you have all my sympathy. And how well Walt is looking after you. I wonder how long this phase will last. Big hug to you.
Caroline

Debi said...

Thanks Caroline! I agree, Walt is a
great caretaker I couldn't ask for anyone better! I am so lucky, but of course I wouldn't want to tell him this....it would only go to his head!! LOL