Thursday, August 23, 2012

Step One....Seminar!



Dr Kozar, my Surgeon.  He did my Lap Band and Lap Band removal as well!!

Hey Ya'll,

Well this will be another short post.  As I said earlier, so much has been happening, but right now I just don't have the time to tell it yet...maybe after the weekend!

But I did want to say that I attended our local Bariatric Seminar tonight.  As you know, this is the first step in a long list of steps that we have to complete in order to get Bariatric/Bypass Surgery approved!

Yes, I did say Bypass.  I was fairly certain that I would be having the Bypass, but I wanted to attend the Seminar and hear what the Surgeon had to say about the Sleeve versus the Bypass.  And he made it clear that for the type of eater that I am (grazer, and major sweet eater), the Bypass is the only choice that will help me.  I do not have the will power that I once had, so I need the extra help the Bypass will provide.  And yes, I do realize that the Bypass will not do it all for me....I still have to change my eating habits or it is all for naught!!

But I have made the decision that I am ready to do this....And now that I have made it, I just want to do it and get it over with!!!  LOL  So tonight was the first step of many.  Luckily for me, I do not have to go through any pre Surgery weight loss classes, or months of attempted weight loss.  So long as I qualify, I just need to complete the pre Surgery requirements laid forth by the Surgeon!  And luckily for me, there are only a couple of changes in their pre Surgery requirements since my Lap Band.  This time I have to get a Letter Of Support from my PCP Doctor, as well as a copy of my Medical Records for the past year.  Otherwise, everything seems to be the same....so far!!

At first, I was concerned that I wouldn't qualify for the 2nd Bariatric Surgery.  But it is not listed in my Insurance that I can only have one in a lifetime.  Plus, the fact that I had to have the Lap Band removed due to complications with it.  So in essence, this is really a revision Surgery!  So I am hopeful, and I fully believe that I will be able to have the steps completed, and the Surgery scheduled before the end of the year.

Interestingly, the Surgeon said that the speed of loss, and amount of weight loss, is about the same for the Sleeve as for the Bypass.  But because the Sleeve won't inhibit the eating habits of a Sugaraholic....then the Bypass is the only one for me!  Plus, he said that if you have problems with Acid Reflux, the Sleeve will not help, in fact, he said that it would only make it worse!  Whereas, the Bypass will end the Acid Reflux problem immediately!  So....Bypass it is!  Well, I need to go for now, till next time....

Aloha My Friends :)

4 comments:

DiZneDiVa said...

These are many of the reasons that I chose the bypass for my revision... Great minds!

Sheila said...

Best of luck Debi! The only thing I would add (and you might already know this) is that only *some* people get dumping from their bypass. There are a lot of bypass people that I have met that have no problem whatsoever eating sugar. Sadly. THey had CHOSEN bypass for that very reason but not everyone automtically gets dumping. Just be aware (which I'm sure you are!) I hope you get it to keep you away from crack...er sugar. :-)

Debi said...

DiZneDeVa - LOL I agree!

Sheila - LOL, yes I hope this cures my crack addiction too!! And yes I am aware that not all Bypass patients have the dumping syndrome. But unfortunately, my family has a history of dumping from eating certain foods without Bypass (I'm one of them), so I am fairly certain that I will experience it! My only hope is that I learn from it and stay away from the foods that trigger it, rather than learn how to bypass it!!

Ryan.Perry said...

Keep up the hard work with your weight loss journey! One thing I’ve found to be extremely helpful and useful as a supplement to my current diet/exercise plan is Fullbar (www.fullbar.com). Their products (Fullbar shakes) have helped me lose weight and learn how to maintain that weight-loss.